Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Owner, practitioner, Owner at Hilo Veterinary Clinic, Inc, Vetmed Hawaii
90005502

This cat comes around twice a year (in Florida), a traveling

Customer Question

This cat comes around twice a year (in Florida), a traveling feral. This time around, he seems to have an eye infection. I've never touched him, although I TNR'd his arthritic traveling companion three years ago and they're still friends. I have some leftover 750 mg Levofloxcin. Can I use it on this cat, if he'll take it?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations cats can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Like I said, it's feral. No one owns him.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: No.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I will do my best to help you. I'm reviewing your question now and I will post back to you ASAP.

I think that you mean levofloxacin.

Yes, it can be used in cat eyes. The ideal dose would be 1 drop every 3 - 4 hours. Discontinue it the eye gets redder.

If the problem is a virus it won't help.

It is very kind of you to want to treat this cat.

If there is a lot of eye discharge use a clean warm wet cloth to wipe it clean first.

Another option is to brew some green or black tea. Let it cool to warm. Dip a clean cloth in it and place over eye as a compress. Tea is antibacterial.

This is easier than trying to get a drop of levofloxacin in a moving kitty.

I hope that this has helped.

If you have any questions we can continue.

If you feel that we are finished, kindly rate this service.

You are an angel in trying help this wanderer.