Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat swallowed fishing line, Alan and he's 1 almost 2,

Customer Question

My cat swallowed fishing line
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Alan and he's 1 almost 2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Alan?
Customer: He's acting strange, he won't eat, his nose is dry and he's not as active as he usually is
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also he is gagging and throwing up like water it's clear and looks like water
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) How long ago was the line eaten?
2) What length of line was consumed?
3) Has he been vet checked since?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He ate the line yesterday, the length of the line is about 6 inches, and he hasn't been checked by the vet. It's the weekend so his vet is closed

Unfortunately, he's going to need to be examined by a vet. Fishing line is notorious for becoming a linear foreign body inside of the intestines. With time, the line may lacerate the intestines requiring surgery. The more prompt the care the receives, the better. I would urge you to take him to an ER facility this weekend. If you need help finding one, please let me know your city, state and zip code.

Failing this, you can administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful and should help reduce the vomiting you're seeing.

If he does stop vomiting and develops an appetite, boil chicken breast and rice together in water and once easily flaked, blend it together with more water to form a slurry he can drink. Give small amounts to start and increase as the hours go on. Ideally, this will help move the line through. If he's fortunate enough to pass this normally and you notice some line present at his anus do not pull but, instead, trim the line with scissors and allow it to pass from his body naturally.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JA Customer. How is Alan doing?