PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I can't afford to pay you, just spent all my money at the

Customer Question

I can't afford to pay you, just spent all my money at the vet treating my cat's ear infection but now he is losing weight pretty fast after receiving booster vaccines.for rabies and FVRCPP I'll just ask the vet tomorrow. This isn't an emergency
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations cats can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Achillies, 11 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Achillies?
Customer: He has just not seemed right since taking him to the vet. On his follow up visit he had already lost one lb and now he has lost 2 or 3 more lbs in two weeks.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

At 11 years of age, this type of rapid weight loss should certainly be investigated. Has he had any blood work run recently? Was a thyroid panel performed? Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No blood work done and no vomiting or diarrhea but he doesn't use the litter box in the house he goes outside so I can't be sure. I do know he was fine except for the ear infection which was bacterial and fungal or yeast?? not sure but he seems to get it about once a year. I live in a warm and humid environment and Achilles doesn't clean his ears or allow me to do it for him.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I started this conversation explaining money is tight and I couldn't afford to pay (I have a lot of expenses all at once and I will do whatever it takes to care for my cat but this isn't an emergency and can wait until the vet's office opens tomorrow. I will just talk to the vet tomorrow and consider the $5 I paid so far even for your time. Sorry to bother you.

The ear infection should not cause weight loss this rapid. When you have him rechecked, I would ask that blood work be performed. A full panel including testing his thyroid would be ideal. At his age, we would also be worried about cancer. I would keep a very close tab on his urination and defecation habits as best you're able when he goes outside.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks. I was really looking to see if the vaccines could cause any of this because he was acting and eating normally, except for the ear symptoms of scratching and shaking his head. Once vaccinated, his became lethargic and his appetite is less than half what it was.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The vet did not inform me of the risk of sarcomas, tumors, etc. with vaccines and that it increases exponentially with multiple vaccines. I'll find out tomorrow, you have a nice day.

No problem. The vaccines are unlikely to have caused a rapid decline on their own. Although we do see a higher risk of vaccine-related sarcomas, these are usually present on the skin and quite obvious. It may be that he was just maintaining stability and with the vaccines and ear infection that it's started a domino effect.

Good luck!