Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My vet diagnosed my cat with diabetes. He's an 8 year old

Customer Question

My vet diagnosed my cat with diabetes. He's an 8 year old cat whose sister just died last year under the care of this vet. Should a cat be subjected to daily injections and all the complications of diabetes? BTW, my vet has kept my cat for almost a week to diagnose him at $150/day.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now if you have lost faith in your vet, it would be ideal to have Cai Cai seen by a different one. This is because your vet and yourself need to be a team when treating feline diabetes. And its worth treating him since stable diabetics that are well managed can live for years despite this condition. So, its not a death sentence with proper treatment and these cats can live normal lives despite needing injections at meal times. But again you need to be able to trust and work with his vet to keep him stable. So, a second opinion would be ideal and treatment is advisable since not treating can lead to weight loss, infection risk, damage his kidneys, cause blindness, and a cause a diabetic crisis which can be fatal. So, we'd need to treat and if we do we can help Cai Cai continue to live comfortably.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

How is everything with your wee one?

Dr. B.