Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat's left eye has been watering since almost 3 weeks

Customer Question

My cat's left eye has been watering since almost 3 weeks now.
She is otherwise healthy, eating well and active.
She has this instance once earlier , but the watering stpped on its own after 3-4 days. At the time the local vet had done a physical examinaton but could not find any injury.Please advise.Regards,
Harsu
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Is she just passing clear discharge or snotty?

Is her eye cloudy/hazy?

What treatment has her vet started?

Any sneezing or coughing?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Attached are some pics & youtube video of her eye.https://youtu.be/8N48ounIUZoRegards,
Harsu
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

Did your vet do any tests or start any treatment for this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The local vet wasnt able to diagnose the root cause of the issue. We do not have advanced eye tests here.
We have given her the " Ciplox-D (Ciprofloxacin & Dexamethasone) eye drop 4 times so far (once in a day).Regards,
Harsu
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

That is a shame since this ocular discharge raises concerns of not just bacterial infection but also possible herpes infection, Chlamydophila (which needs to be treated with ~4 weeks of Doxycycline if present), allergies, or possible issues with the drainage of her tear ducts (which tends to need to be flushed under sedation).

So, its fine to try the treatment you noted (which is an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory) but if it doesn't settle bacterial agents or allergies in the next week, then you may need to speak to her vets about these other concerns. Both of those infectious ones I noted can be tested by PCR at a UK vet lab (which do accept international samples). If you were to have these tested, the vet would need to take a swab of the conjunctiva (for Chlamydophila) and back of the throat (for herpes) and then send these to one of those labs (ie University of Bristol or University of Glasgow) to determine if either is causing this. Otherwise, you would need to discuss tear duct issues with her vet and possibly think about having them flush the duct to make sure that isn't causing her signs.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Hafshu. How is everything going?

Dr. B.