Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Are male. Cat age 6 we saw was limping and we can't tell if

Customer Question

Are male. Cat age 6 we saw was limping and we can't tell if it is a brake or something else its the back right leg please help us!! my wife calls them her kids
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this little guy's situation. His name is Shaun? He just started limping here today? Is he otherwise acting normal? He can put some weight on it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
His name is ***** ***** he is really babying it
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Did this just start this evening? Has he ever limped on it before?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no. He has always been ok see we have small place 2 service dogs him and 2 kittens
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He has really long hair so can my wife check with you him freaking outfrom it
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

How long have you physically seen him limping? When did you first see this? Is he placing any more weight on it from the first time you saw this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
how we feel its a brake or not
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Honestly, I wouldn't try to palpate it to see if it is broke. The best thing an owner can do at home is to actually just leave him alone and let him rest. If he's putting some weight on the leg as he walks, it most likely isn't broke. They can have femoral head fractures and still walk on them, but long bone fractures typically don't let them walk on the leg. Could he have just landed on it wrong? Could he have been in a tussle with the other cats and got the leg bit? There are no safe over the counter pain medications to give so at home, time and rest is something that can be done. A lot of owners will give them 12 hours of rest to see how the limping progresses / improves.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
just see how things are in the morning your saying??should we put him in the restroom alone???
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Away from the other kids? ?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

If there was an ER clinic readily available and / or he was really painful / crying, then it would be more of a push to get him seen tonight. If he's limping around and for the most part not stressed, a night of rest would seem like a very good next step. If he is able to rest in the restroom quietly, then that would be a good place. Ideally he's just in an area where he rests and isn't too stimulated.