Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have a question about an eye injury to a cat. My cat had

Customer Question

I have a question about an eye injury to a cat. My cat had an ulceration on the eye and received an antibiotic gel and another gel that kept the eye dialated. It's been at least 3 or 4 days since we stopped the meds and the previously injured eye is still quite dialated. Is this unusual?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  John Clark replied 3 months ago.

The medication they gave you is atropine and it takes a while for it to stop working. Usually it is dosed with a tapering dose, one drop every 12 hours, then one drop every 24 hours etc...only for a few days and then it is stopped. The eye should return to normal in a day or so.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This was a gel given twice daily. I don't think we were given any tappering instructions. How long until the gel version works out of the system? I think the last time it was given was Monday.

It can take a while....up to two weeks, but usually a week past the last dose, so after the weekend.