Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My cat is at least 8 years old usually very active and

Customer Question

My cat is at least 8 years old usually very active and healthy appetite. For a week she is not eating drinking a lot of water and very lethargic. It appears her stomach is bloated .
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

Sorry to hear Miss Lilly is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. I have to say that to a vet cats which are drinking excessively and are lethargic is always a great cause for concern, a number of disease processes can cause these symptoms and this should be investigated ASAP. My advice therefor has to be that you should have Miss Lily checked over by your vet at the next opportunity. Sadly my experience is that it is very unlikely that there is anything you can do to help her on a home remedy basis.

2. Some of the diseases I would be concerned about are :

1. Diabetes mellitus.
2. Diabetes Insipidus.
3. Kidney failure.
4. liver disease.
5. In my experience the above would be the most likely but cats can also drink more with such things as anaemia, fevers, poisonings and more.

3. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further. In the meantime here is a link to an accurate article which covers this subject in more depth : LINK

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.