Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

His creatine (kidney) levels were high in August, so we put

Customer Question

His creatine (kidney) levels were high in August, so we put him on K/D food. Now, he has lost more weight and has a high white blood cell count.and his red blood cell count has dropped. No signs of diarrhea or vomiting. He is having an abdominal ultrasound on Wednesday. He is a 13-year old domestic long hair.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: His creatine levels tested in the normal range now. Oh no thank you. I don't want to pay a fee.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Terri replied 7 months ago.

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Expert:  Terri replied 7 months ago.

Based on the symptoms your cat may have Hemobartonella. It is caused by the bite of a flea or tick. It can be treated with 14 - 21 days of doxycycline.

Infected cats experience alternating phases whereby the parasite is present in the bloodstream and then absent making diagnosis difficult since a negative test may not mean that the parasite is not present, only that the sampled blood was taken during the "non-parasitemic" phase. Isolation of this organism in a blood culture is not possible since the organism lacks cell walls. Within a matter of three hours, the number of infected cells can range from 90% to 1%.

Read more here:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2133&aid=292

https://www.vetinfo.com/feline-anemia.html

Please let me know how he is doing .

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Would that cause the elevation in his white blood cells?
Expert:  Terri replied 7 months ago.

Absolutely yes because it is an infection. Easily cured by doxycycline

Expert:  Terri replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

purrfectkitty