Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Just found a sm, flea covered kitten in my back yard, does

Customer Question

just found a sm, flea covered kitten in my back yard, does not weigh a pound yet. got rid of all the fleas. how much worm medication and type should i give him
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Gomer, Ziggy or Casper, not sure which yet. We have a 4 year old cat that appeared the same way, he now weighs 15lbs. we used Dawn to kill the fleas, he is white so easy to see them and get rid of them.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ziggy?
Customer: I plan to take to the vet as soon as possible, his little belly is round so I'm sure we have worms. Stool is formed not runny and no visible worms but sure he needs treated.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

I completely agree that that big belly raise concerns of worms even if not in her stool. So, if she is very small and young, then we would want to use a kitten safe option like Fenbendazole (Panacur). Ideally, you'd need to use the lower strength liquid or sachet preparation which is available at some pet stores and OTC at most vets. Dose-wise, it will depend on which preparation you get (the dose should be on the label). Though in milligrams, she'd need 12.5mg for every 500grams of her weight. If you aren't sure of her weight, just pop her on a gram scale to help you determine that for her and thus dose her safely.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button/stars at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )