Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I'm just trying to understand some blood test results of a

Customer Question

Hi! I'm just trying to understand some blood test results of a cat I just adopted. The RBC is 6.38, the HGB is 9.3, and the HCT is 26.8. They told me she is showing early signs of renal disease, but what specifically do these numbers mean in a 6 year old cat?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about I?
Customer: She has a healthy appetite, prefers wet over dry food, and drinks plenty of water.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr.D replied 1 month ago.

Hello there,

Thank you for the question ,

I am DrD , I will try to answer to your question ,

Did your veterinarian test BUN and Creatinine levels ? HCt is the is the volume percentage (vol%) of red blood cells in blood.

Normal value for cats is about 37 %- 45 % . Normal Hgb level is between 12-14 . Looks like she has anemia. Many diseases can cause a decrease in the number of red blood cells or hemoglobin. These are grouped into 1) diseases that cause blood loss, 2) diseases that cause hemolysis (red blood cell breakdown and destruction), and 3) diseases that decrease the production of red blood cells through bone marrow suppression.

Chronic Kidney Failure causes anemia but first we have to document it with urine tests including Urine Specific Gravity level check , BUN ; Creatinine levels . I would ask to investigate the real reason of this anemia .

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK, thanks. They had told me that she also showed non-regenerative anemia. Her BUN/Creatinine ratio is 16.5 and SDMA is 21. I am going to put her on a healthier food, so is there any specific ingredient I need to avoid or look to have in the food to support her?
Expert:  Dr.D replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the additional information . "SDMA is 21" So the kidney disease probable . Now it makes sense.

"is there any specific ingredient I need to avoid or look to have in the food to support her?" I would discuss this with your veterinarian. There are many feline kidney supporting diets available through veterinarians. Low protein Low Sodium diets are suitable . I recommend canned food over dry food in cats.

Probably they will be investigating what really is causing the failing kidneys ? Get her blood pressure checked regularly. I assume that your veterinarian will add a proper medication(s) if she is loosing protein through her urine .

I hope this helps. Thank you again. Good luck .Please do not hesitate to come back if you have further questions .