Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Suddently lethargic, peeing fine, sleepy, did not want

Customer Question

Suddently lethargic, peeing fine, sleepy, did not want dinner id ok with other cat and still wanting pats
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Red, 6.5 years wet food only
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Red?
Customer: Red is on limited ingredient dient diet gave him new kind yesterday of tuna but had regular brand this morning
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He normally eats Iams lamb & rice. Yesterday dinner he had BFF Too Cool Tuna. This morning the Iams again. Was bright alert responsive when left house this morning. This afternoon, wants no food. Sleeping in lounger in front of fireplace. Will accept pats. Has no problem with brother in lounger next to him. Stretching fine, does not seem upset, have touched over his body and no yowling. Urinated as normal about 4 pm EDT (US) this afternoon. Sleeping now.

Thanks for the further information, just typing out your answer now ...

Hello again

Sorry to hear Red is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. If these symptoms continue then what you should do just to be on the safe side is have a vet check your cat over sooner rather than later. The reason I say this is that while the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet the fact that he is suddenly lethargic has a much reduced appetite makes me think that it is possible that he is running a temperature and so may be in the early stages of some kind of infection. This would be the commonest cause of what you are seeing in a cat of Red's age group although of course other diagnosis are also possible, I doubt if this is diet related by the way since you are not seeing vomiting or diarrhoea.

2. I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if he is indeed running a temperature. In the meantime until you can get Red to a vet all you can do is to keep him comfortable and reassured and make sure he is getting fluids regularly.

3. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if his condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you Dr Scott, I do hope it's not an infection as the poor lad suffered with that several years ago due to diet and I fear I have done him wrong giving the tuna. Fortunately am able to take him to veterinary tomorrow to check, can hope the morning brings our lovely lad back to his old self. Many thanks to you.

Hopefully this is not so serious but in the meantime please do not hesitate to get back to me if his condition changes in any way ...

Regards,

Dr Scott