Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I should have been aware when I painted my kitchen/LR

Customer Question

I should have been aware when I painted my kitchen/LR cabinets but didn't think about not getting VOC paint. There is no place to sleep in this tiny trailer but in the kitchen/living room area. We both woke up sick. She is not moving much, and eyes somewhat closed. This has gone on all day (I painted all day yesterday) but didn't associate it with the paint. We both have to sleep in this area. Her fever has gone down some and I feel a little better, but what to do with her or for her? She didn't even want me to touch her earlier. She is 17 and is in kidney failure and has a tumor behind one of her nipples that is oozing some. Usually she is very perky for all that is going on inside of her. What can I do now? It's so hot here in Florida. I've opened all the windows but....just don't know what to do.... thank you. - Melody
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Melody?
Customer: No, I think that's it. thank you. Does this cost money?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 month ago.

This is likely just some irritation to the respiratory tract. This should resolve nicely over a day or two.

What I would do to help, is pick up some artificial tear drops. Genteal is a common one used. You can place these in each nostril and each eye every 4-6 hours for 3-5 days. This will help the irritation and allow the signs to resolve faster.

This is nothing toxic, it's just an irritant to cats.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.