Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

I have a large, Orange Tabby cat and he is slightly

Customer Question

I have a large, Orange Tabby cat and he is slightly overweight.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the tabby cat's name and age?
Customer: Lemon, he's 4
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lemon?
Customer: He has FIV
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. You mentioned that Lemon is FIV positive and overweight. How can I help you?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm not sure the FIV plays much into this. My main concern is that he seems to be a little overweight.He's always been a large cat, he's like 23lbs though and it seems like he was less "loafy" when he was around 20lbs. he get's outside and runs around but what is the max amount we should feed him to get him back to around 20lbs? There isn't really a calorie count on the side of cat-food bags.

I can calculate a range for his daily calorie requirements. What is the brand of food? It should say the kcal/cup on the side of the bag. Also, will he eat canned cat food? Do you free choice feed him or feed him twice daily?

Hi daily kcal requirements are 250 -325 kcal. I find that changing cats to a canned food really helps with weight loss. The goal is to feed a high quality canned food twice daily. Can add some dry.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We have been feeding him two different types of dry food. He's never been a huge fan of wet food but has started eating some of the other cat's wet food recently when it's presented to him.http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/department/article/pet-products :Tender & True fish flavored dry foodhttps://www.beyondpetfood.com/ : Beyond Chicken cat food.We typically feed him in the morning and at night, about 1/2 cup of food each time.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I guess i never saw the calorie counts. If we make sure to serve him 250-325 kcals worth of food he'll start to slim down a little bit? I guess he has to lose about 13% of his current body weight.

Yes, he should start to slim down. I live in Maine where the cats are typically huge (maine coon mixes) and 1/2 cup twice daily is way too much food. Cut your evening meal to 1/4 cup to start. You can also still give some canned food because the calories content of canned is much lower than dry. Feel free to ask follow up questions. You can continue posting on this thread for a couple of days even after rating my response. Take care.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sweet, thanks, we'll try paying more attention to the volume and try switching him to wet food some of the time.

Great. Let me know how it goes. Take care