Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have 2 cats that are about 12 lbs each. Last night they

Customer Question

I have 2 cats that are about 12 lbs each. Last night they knocked a 12 oz tub of feline greenies off the counter and ate 1/2 of the contents. What does a "feline greenie over dose" look like? What symptoms should I be looking out for.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Flast 5 yo and Linus 5 yo. Linus suffers with constipation, but it is well managed with Royal Canin Fiber response. I am leaving for a week and a half in 4 hours.
JA: How old is Linus?
Customer: 5 yo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Linus?
Customer: he had a perianal mast cell tumor that was radiated with a strongium probe at UT school of VM. the tumor started when he was 10 months old and was treated when he was about 2 yo
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Flash, the other cat that participated in the binge is on prozac 5mg daily for idiopathic cystitis
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

The main signs we'd expect to see with a situation like this would be appetite loss, vomiting, diarrhea, and belly discomfort. As well, as these are quite dry treats we could see them pull fluid from the body into the stomach leading to lethargy, weakness, and collapse. Furthermore, if we were to see this put them off eating (either from gastroenteritis or a secondary pancreatitis since these are a bit rich), there being off food over the week you are away could be disastrous and lead to liver issues (hepatic lipidosis) as well.

Therefore, if you cannot monitor them over the next 48 hours, it is ideal to have someone else do so on your behalf or have them both hospitalized at their vet's for monitoring. We'd hope to just see those more mild signs (and their vet could use oral or injectable anti-nausea medication and appetite stimulants as needed; but of course IV fluids as well if needed) but that way we can be proactive if they react badly to this and develop those more serious issues. And if we are vigilant and quick acting we can head off secondary hepatic lipidosis for both cats.

Just to note if you do have someone monitor them, then they can start treating them with OTC cat hairball paste to encourage all these treats to pass. They can have a break from food for a few hours but when we restart feeding we'd plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. like boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut and can help counter those GI signs we will likely see from this overindulgence. But again any of those other signs, pain or severe vomiting and they'd need to be seen (and usually if you let your vet know someone is watching/caring for them on your behalf, they will see them if needed and the charges be held for your return).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Dr B. Thanks for checking in. The cats are at my friends house. Im on vacation and haven't heard from her so I'm hoping they are well.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Hopefully, that means all is well and your wee ones are safe and sound. :)

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )