Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

About two weeks ago our cat ate some of our sons birthday

Customer Question

About two weeks ago our cat ate some of our sons birthday cake and got really sick lots of vomiting and he'd stop eating much at all. So we took him to the vet and he had to stay there a couple days bc of the not eating and he has a fever of 104 for two days. They did iv saline and X-rays for his bowel. Nothing. After a couple days there wt fluids and anti nausea meds he rebounded but still wouldn't eat. He doesn't do well staying at the vet and we thought it might be nerves so they released him. Sent him home wt an anti biotic and one other med I can't remember and he rebounded quickly. But early this morning he started throwing up again. The first couple times there bits of my son's foam rubber playmat in it but for the rest of the day it's been mostly liquid. He's still been eating but not sure about pooping and peeing. We both worked today. He still sort of seemed normal most of the day but his vomiting is more violent tonight and it smells like poo. Now he's taking to isolating himself under a shelf in our utility room
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Bear is his name. We had to spend $1200 on vet bills two weeks ago and really can't afford another stay with a battery of the same tests so we just don't know what we should do if he goes back to the not eating but still vomiting g stuff of two weeks ago.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bear?
Customer: Um, he's about 1.5 yrs old. Long haired tabby. Once when he was about 4 months he got a fever wt vomit, no evidence that time of eating smthg weird. They have him fluids and meds and he rebounded. He stayed overnight that time too. $600. We were still paying that off when this last incident happened. im wondering if he has a chronic bug or just an anxious stomach that gets set off by eating smthg weird and takes a couple days to recover. In which case is there anyway we can treat from him and not rack up more giant vet bills
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

What medications is he on specifically just now?

What tests besides an xray did his vet do?

Was the cray before or after the foam playmat bits were seen (which are very hard to pick up on xray)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He left the hospital on October 3rd. They did two separate X-rays at the start and before his release. They did fluids, vitamins, ampicillin, famotidine and potassium chloride. Two of those meds they sent home wt us and one was an antibiotic. He's been off both of them for about 4-5 days now. So no meds right now. We noticed the foam bits yesterday and his visit to the doc was the 2-3 of October so that's when the X-rays were. Today he's been eating nuts here and there and much less vomiting so is it safe to think maybe he's getting past it?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the further information.

Now if he is eating again (though Bear has interesting choices for a cat) and the vomiting is on the decline that is positive. So, we'd hope that we are turning a corner here. Though if he still has vomiting a bit, it'd be worth restarting the Famotidine (which is Pepcid) or even ringing his vet about stronger ant-nausea options (ie Cerenia, Zofran). Furthermore, as that nausea declines and since we have that concern of non-digestible foam to also consider, you can start treating him daily with OTC cat hairball paste. This is a mild Gi lubricant and could just help keep any odd bits he has eaten moving through the gut and out the other end. And if his residual signs are due to these items irritating the gut, then by moving them out we would hope to get him fully settled.

Overall, it sounds like the original issue was infections given his elevated temperature and I'd not assume the cake was to blame. Though it does sound like he is responding to treatment but challenging us by eating non-edible items here. So, with that I would be concerned that the eating odd items is a hint that he does still have some nausea but that the foam could cause it at this point too. Therefore, we'd want to make sure we are addressing that fully for him for at least a few more days and also use the hairball treatment to see if we can promote those bits of foam passing without causing him any more bother.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button/stars at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.