Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as an associate veterinarian working with pets and treating feral felines.
92155571

I was reading about the pink eye and triple anti biotic

Customer Question

Hi there I was reading about the pink eye and triple anti biotic ointment and that's like neosprin ? Human medicines? And also can use the medicated eye drops ? Can you use both ? My girl is looking pretty oozy and keeps scab Bing back up , she is not caged , they are all free roamers and tend to do well , my first ailment in several years . Thank you for your help
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your human?
Customer: No nothing else relevant
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about your cat's troubles. Pinkeye only affects the tissue surrounding the eye and not the actual eyeball. Anything affecting the eyeball itself should be seen by a vet.

Triple antibiotic ointment can be used for pinkeye. Yes, triple antibiotic and neosporin are the same thing. You should apply it 3 times a day and continue for a couple days past when the eye is back to normal. Be advised that a thick ointment like this can blur the vision for a short time following application, so your cat may act a little stunned but this should go away with time.

You can also clean the face surrounding the eye with a warm wash cloth to remove the discharge. Most cases of pinkeye will clear within seven days using medication. If it persists longer than this or gets worse, it would be time to see a vet. Also, pinkeye can be contagious, so watch all your others kitties and treat as needed.

I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!