Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

S salivating profusely, a cat, she is salivating profusely,

Customer Question

s salivating profusely
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: a cat
JA: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?
Customer: she is salivating profusely
JA: Where does the cat seem to hurt?
Customer: not hurt anywhere
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: charlie, maybe 10
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about charlie?
Customer: dnt think so
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Charlie. When I hear about a cat that is salivating profusely, here are the things that seem to be the issue a lot of times. Dental issue - could there be a tooth that has become loose and is now in the wrong location and it is making it hard to close the mouth and they salivate a lot. Oral foreign material - could there be something caught in the teeth that is causing them to not close their mouth well? One that I saw at my clinic had a piece of plastic caught in the teeth. Nausea - Could she be feeling like she needs to vomit? Some can salivate profusely if they are nauseated from something that they ate or with how their are feeling. Could there be an oral irritant? Something she licked that tasted really bad. Could there be an oral lesion like an ulcer or growth? These are all considerations that I would have. If she's licking a lot or pawing at her mouth, the dental issue or foreign material would be the highest suspicions.