Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as an associate veterinarian working with pets and treating feral felines.
92155571

I'm worried about my cat (indoor/outdoor cat) who's probably

Hi, I'm Celine,
I'm worried about my cat (indoor/outdoor cat) who's probably been hit by a branch falling from a tree or maybe someone did hurt her with a stick, it was 2 weeks ago. It's located on her lower back, right side.
She had just a little bit of skin damage which I took care of, and a big bump. Now the skin is healed, and she didn't show any sign of fatigue or any trouble to eat and drink. But today I realized holding her and petting her that the bump is much less big then it was and actually I thought she was all good, but I she's still hurt when I touch it. I leave far away from the closest vet and don't have a car so I was wondering if you can help me, and give me advice before I take her to a vet. Thank you very much for your consideration. Celine.D

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about Trichatte's troubles. What you are describing sounds most like a hematoma. This is basically a large accumulation of blood under the skin, similar to a bruise. The most common causes are from a trauma.

Hematomas can take a long time to heal. The body will eventually resorb all of the red blood cells, but there is some restructuring that has to occur first and then resorbtion happens slowly. They can remain painful until the whole process is complete. The best thing you can do to help ease the pain is to apply a warm compress to the area for 10-15 minutes 2 to 3 times a day. Antiiflammatories help, but unfortunately the only over-the-counter one available for cats is aspirin and that can cause more bleeding, so let's avoid that for now. You can also apply a small amount of Ben Gay or other muscle pain relieving ointment to the area.

Other causes for the lump would be some sort of skeletal damage but I would imagine that she would be much more painful and you would notice some lethargy, etc with this.

If the lump is not gone in another two weeks, or if it gets bigger or Trichatte starts behaving differently, it would be time to see a vet.

I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your answer Dr Bonk! I think you're totally right cause I can tell that the skin is a little blue. I'll fallow your advice thank you again !

You're very welcome, I hope Trichatte feels better soon!

Hi Celine Decostanzi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Trichatte. How is everything going?
Dr-Bonk