Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

Gave kitten worm medicine on Sunday now she just sleeps and

Gave kitten worm medicine on Sunday now she just sleeps and doesnt want to eat
Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I gave her water with seringe last night she ate little bit but this morning she wont eat I think she is12 weeks old the people I got her from wasnt sure as something took their mother she was very active and playful until I dewormed her

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What wormer did you give? Was it the right dose for her size and intended for kittens?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
It was strongid gave her 2. 5 mayme too much was guessing her weight she had poops last night she is keeping water down

Thank you,

Do you mean 2.5 milliliters, milligrams, or 2.5 lines on the paste syringe?

What milligrams active ingredient in the preparation you gave?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.

Thank you again,

Now my concern here is that the wormer is precipitating her signs. We can see this wormer even in normal doses (which this doesn't sound like an overdose) cause gut upset. And where dogs often will eat then vomit, cats tend to refuse food to avoid vomiting when nauseous.

Therefore, since she is so young and cannot afford to be off food for long, we need to be proactive here. To start, if you think she is weak as well as lethargic, we can try boosting her blood sugar by rubbing a sugary syrup (ie glucose syrup, honey, karo syrup, pancake syrup, or even non-grape jam) onto the gums. This will get some sugar into her and hopefully perk her up for us.

Afterwards, we’d want to target that nausea. To do so, she could have a small dose of an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ or Milk of Magnesia –0.25tsp ever 12 hours). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find the nausea just too severe to keep it down or she doesn’t respond, then we’d want her local vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-nausea medication.

After that has had time to absorb, we want to tempt her with some light meal options like boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the upset gut.

Since dehydration is a risk with her being so small and off her food, we need to keep a close eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure she’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE ( If you do find these dehydration signs, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell). Just to note, if you do need to syringe water, she needs to be getting at least 48ml per kilogram of her weight every 24 hours (of course divided into multiple offerings. And if she were to vomit with that, then we’d have to stop syringing fluids.

Overall, it does sound like she may have a sensitive stomach and is reacting to the wormer. Being that she is so young, we need to tread with care. So, we can start the above just but if she isn't back to herself in12-24 hours (or has pale gums, belly discomfort, or changes in her breathing); then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, your vet can treat her with injectable anti-nausea medication, appetite stimulants, fluids, +/- antibiotics to get her back to being a bouncy kitten for us.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )