Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

I rescued two sickly feral kittens. I have successfully

Customer Question

I rescued two sickly feral kittens. I have successfully wormed them and treated them for upper respiratory infections (or so I thought). The little male has constant nasal congestion and is straining to breathe. It also makes it difficult for him to eat, although he still has a ravenous appetite. I tried a humidifier, which gave very little relief. What can I do to help clear his nose?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the kitten can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: "Tigger " (grey tiger tabby). He was seen by a vet who gave him amoxicillin.His sister was treated at home with diatomaceous earth for worms and colloidal silver for infection. She got well faster!!
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about "Tigger "?
Customer: They are 10 to 12 weeks old. Their ribs and hipbones were visible when we got them, but not now. Tigger, at eight weeks old, rode about 30 miles underneath a co-workers truck!!!
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What color is the nasal discharge?

Is he on any treatment just now?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
I seldom see nasal discharge but once it looked yellowish and opaque. It seems his nostrils are clogged with very little breathing capacity. He is finishing up amoxicillin today. The vet administered an allergy shot 2 weeks ago. I have dabbed his nose with cotton dipped in colloidal silver and my own nasal spray while he wiggled. I let him smell a jar of Vicks vaporub. might have helped a tiny bit.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 day ago.

Thank you,

Now when we see yellow/snotty discharge that would be a sign of bacterial infection. Though if that has at least settled, we'd assume the remaining congestion is inflammatory and/or viral induced. Therefore, if severe, you'd want to speak to his vet about cat safe ant-inflammatories to reduce nasal inflammation and cat safe decongestants to reduce congestion that way.

Otherwise, further to the humidifier, you can add the use saline nasal drops (like Ocean Mist or Little Noses) but not anything medicated to your treatment plan. Tilt the head back and drop 2-3 drops in one nostril. Again they hate this, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.

As well, since feline herpes virus could cause these signs, you can try reducing any flare-up by the supplementation of with L-lysine (a nutritional supplement) This is available over the counter as a gel, powder or in crushable tablets to add to food. An average cat dose is 500mg a day.

Finally, its fine to use most of the treatments you have but do avoid Vicks since that isn't ideal for cats and can irritate the respiratory tract as well.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )