Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My 5-yr old male cat is an indoor cat. He is one of 3 and

Customer Question

My 5-yr old male cat is an indoor cat. He is one of 3 and usually acts like a normal cat. For the past week or so in the evening all of a sudden he acts as if something is scaring him or as if he is trying to hide from himself. He will try to lick his back and then run around the room and down the hall. He won't let me catch him to see what is wrong. After awhile he settles down again.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Barnum (Barney his litter mate is Bailey like the circus)
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about ( Barney?
Customer: He has recently started kneading on my lap while we are sitting and watching TV at night. I usually was glad to see my cats kneading and thought it meant they were content. But, this is different. He remains standing and adds a little pelvic thrust. I pet him and try to get him to lie down, but he wants to stand. After awhile he jumps down to the floor and starts licking his male organ.
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jeffrey Evans replied 6 days ago.

Hi this is Dr. Evans, have you checked your cat for fleas?