Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My cat is on Zenequin with Doxycycline and even when I give

Customer Question

My cat is on Zenequin with Doxycycline and even when I give the Doxy with food she eventually vomits. I was wondering if the combination of both is causing her increased nausea?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: No, she's being fed via e-tube for possible IBS because she won't eat on her own.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Lucy, ten
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucy?
Customer: shes on Prednisolone and Cerenia for the nausea
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

It's very likely that that's the case. Both marbofloxacin's (Zeniquin's) and doxycycline's adverse effect profile involves gastrointestinal distress - vomiting, anorexia, soft stools, and diarrhea. To compound the problem, prednisolone also can cause GI distress. Please let Lucy's vet know what you're seeing. If at all possible, the least number and amount of drugs given to IBD cats is prudent. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you I am going to tomorrow. She was fine when it was just Zeniquin and Prednisolone.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have one question
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If I do one at night and the other in the morning rather than just a couple of hours apart. Could she be handle it better?

Yes, that's a reasonable attempt to ameliorate this problem. Please continue our conversation if you wish.