Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

14 week old kitten treated for round worms and received

14 week old kitten treated for round worms and received combo vaccination at 9:00 this morning . When we got home she was her old self, playing and running around. She is no lethargic, not eating or drinking and sleeping a lot . Should we be worried ?

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
meant to say she is now lethargic, she has also not urinated or defecated since early this AM

I am sorry to hear that Chloe is suddenly very sleepy and not eating and drinking tonight after being vaccinated and being treated for worms this morning.

It is pretty common to have some muscle soreness and feel a bit stiff for 48-72 hours after vaccines, particularly Rabies or Feline Leukemia vaccines. Some cats will even run a low grade fever. This isn't an allergic reaction, or necessarily a bad thing. It's evidence that her immune system is responding to the vaccines. People often have the same reaction after a vaccine. If you've ever had a sore arm after a Tetanus shot you know how she feels.

But it also isn't necessary for her to be uncomfortable.

If you know where the vaccines were given a warm compress on the injection sites may help ease soreness.

You can also call her veterinarian and ask for a few days of prescription nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medication. Metacam or Onsior both work very well for this.

Getting her to move around and play a couple times a day will help relieve soreness too in the long run, but she may not feel up to that tonight, I would try this tomorrow.

In the future you might want to have only one vaccine given at a time (some cats seem to react more when multiple vaccines are given) and ask for a prescription of a nonsteroidal when she gets her vaccines so if she gets sore next time you have them available.

You might also want to wait a few days between worming medication and vaccines so as to not overwhelm her.

If she isn't eating and drinking she won't have much to eliminate. And her low grade fever and muscle soreness may make her just feel like sleeping. That's fine for tonight.

In the morning if she is reluctant to eat I recommend offering a bland diet of 2/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken and 1/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to increase palatability and fluid intake.

If she isn't perking back up tomorrow though some fluids and an injection to ease inflammation would be good.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I am sorry I cannot help with a phone call. The states/province I am licensed in do not allow me to communicate via phone calls, unless I have previously physically examined a pet. I could lose my license for doing so. If you would like we can continue this way and you are welcome to ask follow up questions to my response.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your response and info . Will keep an eye on her, if not better in the morning will take her to another Vet . Ours is currently out of town this week .

That sounds like a great plan. In most cases they get a good night's sleep and slowly start to feel better.

Certainly if she has facial swelling, hives, difficulty breathing, or starts with vomiting and diarrhea that means she needs to be seen on an emergency basis. But most of them feel much better in 48-72 hours.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chloe. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara