Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

My cat is allergic to flea bites and I was wondering if

Customer Question

my cat is allergic to flea bites and I was wondering if cephalexin will help him with the wound where he ripped his fur out? I cant afford the $300 vet bill at this moment. He has had this before even though he is an indoor cat.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your cat bleeding a lot?
Customer: it has started to scab up. I had some hydrocortisone 0.5% cream and put that and a hot spot spray on it. It just seems a bit swollen and he is sad. He is still eating and drinking.
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Tiki and he is 5yrs old and about 13 pounds. He isn't fat just a big boy.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tiki?
Customer: I do remember that the last time he went for this they gave him a prednisone taper. I just don't remember the dosage or time frame.
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, Cephalexin is only of use for flea allergy dermatitis kitties if they have a secondary bacterial infection or if the wound is infected. Instead, we'd want to keep him on monthly good quality flea treatment (to prevent bites to start) and then address the allergic reaction to the saliva that is the actual cause for their signs. To do that, the hydrocortisone cream on the skin (but not the wound) is fine as long as he isn't licking it off. For the wound, we'd want to be salt water bathing this 2-3 times daily and then applying an OTC antibiotic cream. Of course, as this heals, we need to block his access to licking this area, so he will need to wear an e-collar from the pet store.

As well, while steroids like Prednisone are often used to counter the irritation of the allergy, you could try at least having him on an OTC antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ A low dose (ie. 0.25mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. Alternatively, you can also use Cetirizine (just 5mg for a cat) once daily. For either, we like to keep the dose low, since it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, these shouldn't be used if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Finally, if he is too severely irritated for the antihistamines to settle him, then you may want to at least have his vet start a steroid course (which tends to be quite inexpensive). Though if they are just too costly, there are a few options. . First, if you have a VCA or Banfield veterinary hospital near you, then you might consider taking advantage of their free first consult offerst to offset costs of having him seen so treatment can be dispensed. You can find vouchers for this via VCA: ( & Banfield : ( Otherwise, you could consider checking out the Humane Society's database ( or ASPCA’s database ( Both have a lot of branches nationwide, along with ties to other assistance organizations that can keep down costs and surely will be willing to help.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )