Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I am feeding 3 stray kittens, about 4 months old. The come

Customer Question

Hi, I am feeding 3 stray kittens, about 4 months old. The come to my porch and eat the food. last Saturday the tail of one of them got into the door . I did not see it. and tried to close it and he got hurt. I don/ t know how serious it is. He was walking fine next two days, his tail sometimes up sometimes a bit down horizontal. I did not see any damage to skin or any wound on the tail. However this morning I noticed that he was slowly jumping up the steps like he was in pain and when he walked his hind legs were kind of lame. He moves around and eats, but I am worry about spinal cord injury and paralysis. Somehow he was fine for 2 days and now he seems to be worse. he is a stray, I can get close to him but taking him to the vet would be difficult.. I feel very upset and guilty about hurting a little animal. Thanks for your advice.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the stray stray bleeding a lot?
Customer: No. And I don't see any skin damage. The tail looks may be a bit swollen
JA: Phew. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the stray stray?
Customer: No as I said he is about 4 months old otherwise in good health I feed him and his two siblings everyday
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for taking care of these little ones. Just last night at my ER, I saw a case where a cat got its tail caught in the door and the skin was stripped off the very tip. In your little one's situation, if there are no visible injuries to the skin there, then it would seem at worst the area could still be uncomfortable from that injury. Could he have gotten his pelvis or legs in the door too? With him walking slowly and seeming kind of lame, that may be the case. There really isn't anything you can give for any pain at this time to him. The best you can do is to try and keep his environment as safe as possible for him. Making it so he's in a comfortable area where he's got good nutrition and water supply so he can take it easy to let his body hopefully recoup from this. I know you are upset about the accident, but those things happen! Like I said, I just saw one last night at my ER and the owners felt bad just like you. I told them and everyone in this situation, these little one's are curious and this does happen.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is there a danger of paralysis? The strange thing is that he was walking better right after this happened than 2 day later
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

I would hope that there really isn't a danger of paralysis from the door situation. Could something else be going on to cause this? You should try to inspect him daily to see if there are any sores or areas of swelling that start to appear. I would hope that he continues to eat / drink well and hopefully rest.