Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

She is a 12 yr old feral cat that was just a tiny kitten

Customer Question

She is a 12 yr old feral cat that was just a tiny kitten when we found her by the side of the road. She is pretty well domesticated since we give her lots of attention and love. But she is very nervous. We have another Tom cat we also rescued and brought into the house about 3 yrs ago. Since then she has been so nervous and vomits all the time. Like everyday and it looks like food that has not even been digested. I'm worried about her.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the kitten eat anything unusual?
Customer: She has been on different diets we've tried...everything from Science Diet (both regular and the sensitive stomach one), currently its "9 Lives daily essentials" Then the cats also get a little treat every evening of wet food like tuna, chicken, etc.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?
Customer: Well, she really is not still a kitten, she is 12 yrs old. We took her to see our vet about a year ago and he said not to worry and that he had a cat that "threw up" everyday but that the cat was healthy.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 8 months ago.

Daily vomiting, especially food after eating and on different kinds of food makes me concerned that she has a primary GI reason for vomiting. The two most common in a 12 year old cat would include inflammatory disease or GI lymphoma. Other potential causes would include pancreatitis, kidney disease, liver disease or other metabolic disturbances. I recommend hat blood work be performed and referral to a specialist if you are not getting answers or treatments that help. Unfortunately, the only way to diagnose IBD or GI lymphoma would be with a biopsy and not all veterinarians are able to do GI biopsies. In the meantime you can try an anti-nausea medication which will only be a bandaid and not a permanent solution but may help her to feel better in the short term while you are able to get her to the right veterinarian.

Does this address your concerns tonight? If not, please feel free to ask ay further questions you have.