Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

She is a 12 yr old feral cat that was just a tiny kitten

She is a 12 yr old feral cat that was just a tiny kitten when we found her by the side of the road. She is pretty well domesticated since we give her lots of attention and love. But she is very nervous. We have another Tom cat we also rescued and brought into the house about 3 yrs ago. Since then she has been so nervous and vomits all the time. Like everyday and it looks like food that has not even been digested. I'm worried about her.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the kitten eat anything unusual?
Customer: She has been on different diets we've tried...everything from Science Diet (both regular and the sensitive stomach one), currently its "9 Lives daily essentials" Then the cats also get a little treat every evening of wet food like tuna, chicken, etc.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?
Customer: Well, she really is not still a kitten, she is 12 yrs old. We took her to see our vet about a year ago and he said not to worry and that he had a cat that "threw up" everyday but that the cat was healthy.

Daily vomiting, especially food after eating and on different kinds of food makes me concerned that she has a primary GI reason for vomiting. The two most common in a 12 year old cat would include inflammatory disease or GI lymphoma. Other potential causes would include pancreatitis, kidney disease, liver disease or other metabolic disturbances. I recommend hat blood work be performed and referral to a specialist if you are not getting answers or treatments that help. Unfortunately, the only way to diagnose IBD or GI lymphoma would be with a biopsy and not all veterinarians are able to do GI biopsies. In the meantime you can try an anti-nausea medication which will only be a bandaid and not a permanent solution but may help her to feel better in the short term while you are able to get her to the right veterinarian.

Does this address your concerns tonight? If not, please feel free to ask ay further questions you have.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Her vomiting has been going on now for several years and we've asked our Vet and been put off as nothing. Her vomit often appears to be undigested food not too different than what we have been feeding her. I worried she might be diabetic. She is becoming more lethargic and sleeps a lot. Lately, her litter box has had a nasty odor after her visit. Her stools are a yellowish color. So, what do you think?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would you recommend a special diet?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you still there?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm sorry, this is taking too long and I have to leave the house for an appointment. Thanks for the original response and I will follow up with our Vet and see what we can accomplish.

I don't think that the vomiting is "nothing". I think you should seek a second opinion from a veterinarian that is willing to recommend diagnostics. Perhaps an internal medicine specialist. Chronic vomiting despite diet change is concerning as this s not considered "normal".

The clinical signs of diabetes are weight loss despite a ravenous appetite, drinking a lot and urinating a lot. Also high blood sugar that is repeatable and sugar in the urine and/or ketone formation.

I am happy to talk about this more when you have time. I cannot recommend a specific diet in the meantime, however you may try a single carbohydrate and single protein source. Keep in mind that diet alone will take several weeks to see an effect.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks. You ruled out diabetes as she does not have a ravenous appetite and I don't see her drinking a lot of water. She has some arthritic problems with her left hip and we considered that to be the reason she squeals and is resistant to being picked up. We have to very carefully picking her up. Once she is settled on a lap she begins purring and fall asleep. Thanks again and we will see another Vet. The one we see is highly respected but her practice with her associates are taking care of large animals in this rural community. I know a wonderful Vet but she lives in Kansas, so I'll try to catch her the next time she visits her family here in Durant, OK.

I'm glad I could be of service. Please feel free to return if you have further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Ellie