Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic

Her eye is swollen and had some gunk so to speak. I wiped

Customer Question

Her eye is swollen and had some gunk so to speak. I wiped that away and rinsed it with saline solution and it seems better and she now keeps it open but still a little swollen and it is red around her eye.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Charlie and about 5 I believe
JA: How old is Charlie?
Customer: About 5
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charlie?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 7 days ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Has Charlie been around any other cats? How long has this been going on for?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
she has and it just started a few hours ago. She woke up from a nap and it was crusted shut.

Okay thanks for the additional information. Has she ever had this before? One common issue that can cause this in cats is conjunctivitis. This is usually caused by an respiratory infection and will require antibiotics to treat. Another cause could be if she could have gotten something in the eye or experienced some trauma to the eye. Does she live with any other cats?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
This has never happened before but she does live with other cats.

Are any of the other cats showing any sign of illness? Do those cats go outside at all? I know some cats can be a carrier of illness even without showing illness and therefore still infect other cats. Does the discharge have a large amount of yellow mucus?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No other cats are showing symptoms and they are all indoor cats. She had a lot of mucus in her eye when I opened it after being crusted shut but she hasn't had any since.

Okay If it just started a few hours ago. It may be due to just some irritation especially if it seemed to improve when you cleaned the eye. If it persists or recur again, I would suspect that it is due to an actually infection or some type of injury. Since your cats are all indoor infection would be lower on the list. But possible trauma would be higher. Does Charlie play or fight with the other cats at all?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I have been home all day and she has not had any fights with the other cats. She does not fight with them normally either.

Okay since she doesn't fight with the other cats then I would suspect that something was irritating the eye and may take some time to relieve it self. I would watch the eye closely to see if it develops discharge again. If it does then I would reocmmend that she see a veterinarian to rule out anything else that could be serious. If it gets to that point, then they may want to place her on some antibiotics to help clear the issue up

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok, thank you.

You are welcome. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne