Dr. Chelsea Pulter
Dr. Chelsea Pulter, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  associate veterinarian at Banfield

She ate one of my dogs 50 mg tramadol tablets. I do not know

She ate one of my dogs 50 mg tramadol tablets. I do not know if I need to take her to vet to have her stomach pumped
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Cat is Chaos and is 15 years old and weighs 8-9 lbs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cat?
Customer: no Cat is very healthy Manx male

Hi I am Dr. Pulter. Give me a minute to respond.

Tramadol is a synthetic opioid medication for pain. Usually this medication is very bitter and cats don't tend to like bitter things unless it was in something tasty. Please double make sure Chaos got this. If your cat got a whole pill this would be 4 times the recommended dose for dogs. Tramadol causes sedation, constipation and potentially other central nervous system signs. IF your cat ate this tablet you should seek veterinary care within two hours of ingestion to see if they can make your cat vomit the pill up. If not then Chaos should be monitored over 24-48 hours on fluids to flush out the medication. What will make your trip easier is if you call an Animal poison control center to create a case file and instructions for your vet to care for Chaos. Unfortunately in this modality i cannot diagnose or prescribe treatment to your cat. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Chelsea Pulter