Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

He is not responding well to 1/4 pill of terbutaline 2x a

Customer Question

He is not responding well to 1/4 pill of terbutaline 2x a day. He gets 0.5ml of prednisolone. He is a large cat. I have albuterol and an aerokat can I give him tht?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?
Customer: Asnatha
JA: Where does Asnatha seem to hurt?
Customer: Asthma
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: He gasps for air, falls asleep and then gets up to eat/ He looks very uncomfortable.
JA: How old is Asnatha?
Customer: Mango is 18 yrs old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Asnatha?
Customer: I took him to an emergency vet over the weekend and he was put into a 100% oxygenk cage. The cost was close to $1,000.00. What else can I do to make him more comfortable?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. To answer you directly, yes, albuterol 90-100 ug per actuation can be used before administering fluticasone or in emergencies, every 30 minutes for up to 4-6 hours. Chronic use of albuterol isn't recommended as it can worsen airway inflammation in cats. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?