Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My cat is 17 years old. Been diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism.

My cat is 17 years old. Been diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism. I can't get her medicine down her, she is losing weight, refuses to eat cat food, except treats. She will eat Lamb dogfood, and fried hamburger. She will drink milk on occasion. She has started to throw up some foods (treats), and has pooped twice in bathtub, and once in the hall. My regular vet is out of office until mid Nov. and other vet too busy to get time with. I need some answers on this prob. I have tried some other people foods on her, and she refuses them all. Please help me.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about the difficulty of getting the medication for Callie into her. For those owners that are doing the oral methimazole for their cats hyperthyroidism and finding difficulty getting it in, they have the option of asking their vet to get a script of this medication compounded as a topical that can be placed on the inner ear instead. You need to call the vet's office and tell them you want to get the medication compounded as a topical for use. They can then call this into a compounding pharmacy where it will be made up and then it can be sent directly to you from that company. Just explain to the vet the challenge you are having and this should be a very good way to get her the medication by a route other than orally.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have tried that topical. It is too expensive here for me to get on a monthly basis. Any other suggestions?

You said she will eat some things. Have you tried some tuna and juice with it? Some owners can have great success by taking the medication and crushing the medication to a powder and then mixing it with a small amount of this to get them to eat it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Never tried juice but she quit eating Tuna.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also has quit other fish, and I even bought Liver , and she refused that raw and cooked.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm having trouble with my internet right now. Must close it down. Thank you so far for your help.

Have you been able to get your internet up again? This situation with Callie is a challenging one. Could she have something else going on besides her hyperthyroidism that is causing her to have her appetite be so minimal? I'll be honest and say that there may be no easy fix for this as it would be nice to recheck some blood work on her to see where her liver and kidney values are at to see if they may be getting off too.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sounds like I'm going to have to investigate it on a local level. Thank you for the advice you have given me. Good bye

I'm glad to help in some small way at this time with Callie. Getting your local vet involved with her again is going to ultimately be the best thing for her. Being right there to do a physical exam and possible testing is important / needed in these situations. I'm hoping for the best for her.