Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident

My cat started urinating outside his box about 6 Mos ago. He

Customer Question

My cat started urinating outside his box about 6 Mos ago. He just started peeing on different places in the house and then we started using pee pads which has curbed it a little bit. His personality is also suddenly changed and he is very cranky towards our other animals. We took him to the vet and they ran some blood and urine tests. He had a slight bacterial infection and we gave him antibiotics. It made absolutely no difference. He has also started losing hair but is also greasy. He has lost almost two pounds. We brought him back again and was told it must be behvioral and again only offered a repeat urine test. The other day he left some small watery poop spots around the house (one right while I was standing next to him). I’m frustrated. He is only 8 yrs old. Should I go to another vet? It sounds like there are many other tests that could maybe rule out other issues.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations cats can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Patsy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Patsy?
Customer: She's overweight, declawed, a rescue cat and nasty to every one, will bite you. Needs to be sedated to be examined by a vet
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 9 days ago.

Is Patsy a boy or girl? You reference both a boy and a girl in the question and it wasn't clear.

However, it sounds like your car is experiencing anxiety as this is a common cause of inappropriate urination in an otherwise healthy cat.

Aside from anti-anxiety medication such as fluoxetine, buspirone or amitriptylline, the non-prescription product I recommend most for general anxiety is called Feliway which is a pheromone produced by mother cats to make her kittens feel at ease This is a product that can be used during times of stress or anxiety to help calm a cat and make her feel more secure in her surroundings. Another one I like for short term issues is called Rescue Remedy and information can be found here

If you are looking for an anti-anxiety drug, talk to your veterinarian about the options out there but fluoxetine is one of the most common. Any anti-anxiety drug you give will take 6-8 weeks to have an effect so patience is key. You can use an anti-anxiety drug in combination with the above methods as well and you may find that multi-modal treatment is best for your cat. The key to her well being may be a combination of things.

Was I able to answer your questions today?

Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 6 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Ellie