Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

Loose bloody stool, HOOLIES, 14, has spams on occasion *

Customer Question

loose bloody stool
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: HOOLIES, 14
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about hoolies?
Customer: has spams on occasion *
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) When did the bloody stool start?
2) Is Hoolies still eating and drinking well?
3) Any vomiting or diarrhea?
4) Any changes in diet?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
no changes in diet, eating and drinking well, no vomiting, just noticed problem today, moderate amount of bright red blood

Anytime we see blood in the stool, it's wise to have a veterinary visit. Antibiotics are often indicated for treatment. That said, I can give you some steps to take at home which may help resolve the bloody stool.

You can add a tsp of pure canned pumpkin to Hoolie's diet 1-2 times daily. The additional fiber should help firm the loose stool and clear the blood.

Alternately, you can also switch to a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. Blend with water to form a slurry he can drink. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 days ago.

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion feeling?