Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

I am writing from Istanbul, Turkey. Our 13 year old Bombay

Customer Question

Good Morning,
I am writing from Istanbul, Turkey.
Our 13 year old Bombay cat had a tumor removed from her larynx on 7th October. The biopsy results show a very aggressive squamous cell cancer. The vet says that it is likely to return quickly and that the only option is 3 weeks of radiology which would include force feeding her through a tube in the stomach and her staying in the hospital. He is giving no indication for success but a radiologist friend of mine says that we can expect a 20/30% extension to her current life expectancy - i.e. the one month within which another operation would be needed or she would die from the closing of her wind pipe. There are likely to be side effects from the therapy too. We are not sure about the quality of her life even after the 3 week nightmare she would have to endure.
Clearly, we adore this cat to bits but want to make the right decision. My inclination is not to do the therapy but give her other treatment that will not cause her this pain.
I would welcome your reply as soon as possible as the cancer is very aggressive and I want to start whatever alternative options asap.
Thank you
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Unfortunately, we don't have great treatment options for this type of cancer, especially when it is in a location where we cannot remove it fully. Therefore, given the small chance of success and the intensive care that would require (which cats do tend to struggle with), I agree that radiation therapy may not be best for Zeytin. Though as I noted there is little alternative that we can use. Therefore, often we will just treat these cases palliatively with steroids or Meloxicam to reduce tumor size and discomfort associated with it. You could certainly try the Protandim with her as Turmeric and anti-oxidant treatments have shown some positives with cancer cases. Otherwise, if she is drinking poorly do make sure to water down her A/D or try adding low salt chicken broth or offering lactose free milk to promote her drinking and keeping her hydrated.

Overall, the treatment that has been suggested doesn't have a great chance of getting this cancer under control and the side effects are a real concern. Therefore, at Zeytin's age, we would often just focus on keeping her comfortable and letting her enjoy life with you for as long as she is able to do so.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 days ago.
Hi Eddie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Zeytin. How is everything going?

Dr. B.