Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

4 week old kitten playing and eating normally Saturday

Customer Question

4 week old kitten playing and eating normally Saturday morning and afternoon is now not pooping and is dragging his hind legs. He postures sitting straight up with front feet in the air and acts like he's in pain. He is urinating when I put him in the cat box but not pooping. His feet have feeling. I tickled his toes and when I stimulated his bottom he assumed the position while lying down. He saw the vet Sunday morning and she gave him subQ. Following the subQ is when his leg issue presented. He tips over and cannot eat or drink until I put him in front of the bowl and set his legs down in a position where he can eat and drink. The closest after hours emergency vet is about 3 hours away and I am night blind.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wound
JA: What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Luis
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Luis?
Customer: Internal parasites the vet would not treat without a stool sample that he didn't produce.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Any history of a fall or trauma?

Have you seen him straining to pass stool?

How long has it been since you have seen him pass feces?

When you pinch his toes can he move them away from you?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No trauma hx. Got him and siblings from a pound last Monday. Feral.No stool. Teilying to help him with stimulation but no go.Sunday 4 amYes. He wiggles toes doesn't try to get away but he stretches the legs when I tickle or stimulate
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Now we need to tread with care when kittens are dragging their back legs. This can be a sign of spinal issues but also a discomfort sign. And I'd note that the fact he has sensation and motor response with these back legs, spinal issues would be a lesser worry just now. And in that case, we'd want to focus on addressing his constipation to see if we can get him passing stool and return to moving more normally for us. Of course, if he is severely sore, then we'd want him seen again so that kitten safe pain relief (as human ones are cat toxic) can be dispensed.

In regards ***** ***** him to pass stool, if he is still being bottle fed you can try watering down his milk replacer as increased fluid intake can help counter constipation. You can even gently syringe feed fluids (ie water, pedialyte) or offer canned food (as it is 35% water). And I would note that if he will take canned food, we can add canned pumpkin or a GI lubricant (ie Lactulose, mineral oil or hair ball medication (ie 'Katalax')) to ease his passing stool. If you need to give one directly, the cat hairball treatments are safely but otherwise take care to avoid aspiration of the others since that would worsen his situation.

Finally, if we cannot get feces passing with the above in the next few hours (and we can keep treating until we do), you can consider a careful gentle enema. This can be done using a mixture of luke warm water, KY jelly, and dish soap. This can be carefully administered using a lubed syringe or eye dropper and the mixture can gently be inserted into the rectum to remove feces in the colon. Of course, if he is wiggly or you aren't sure about doing this, you can have his local vet do so once they are open or its safe for you to travel.

Overall, I am quite concerned with how sore Luis sounds. These signs don't fit with him having had fluids but could be a constipation sign. So, we'd want to use the above to try to get things moving but think about a revisit to his vet as soon as we can do so safely for an enema if the above cannot get things moving for hm.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am mixing Pedialyte into his formula at greater amounts than kmr recipie. He is batting at his sisters while laying down. If he can pass a stool I think he would feel better. Will increase fluids. I'm hesitant to do an enima with him only being 4 weeks old as of Saturday. Th vet opens at 8:40 and he will go. I will keep trying to get him to pass a poopie. He is alert just not very mobile. His tummy is bloated. He passed fads while I was stimulating him. Feet move all over when I stimulate him. I just don't know if there is more going on.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Gas* passes gas
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

That is totally fine, I just wanted to provide you with a few different options here. In any case, do keep up with the fluid additives and consider adding one of those GI lubricants or a bit of hairball treatment to the milk feeds. Because I agree that getting some stool passed will get him feeling better and will reduce that bloating (another sign of constipation). Especially since the lack of movement and the dragging of the legs is really sound more and more like a pain sign as opposed to a spinal or nervous system issue. So, keep up the good work and think about adding those other non-enema steps to see if we can get things moving for him.

Best wishes

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will do. Thank you!!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Pumpkin for the win! Drank it right down and passed a lot of gas and finally made a poopie and is now rolling around on his back buzzing with his feet in the air. I wouldn't have known to try pumpkin. Truly thank you.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hooray! :D

That is great news and just what we wanted for Luis. I am so glad to hear that we can that stool passed and he is feeling so much better already. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

**Afterwards, please rate me by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited by the site for helping you. Thank you!: )