How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Bruce Your Own Question
Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Category: Cat Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 18077
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973
Type Your Cat Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Bruce is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My senior cat is having her second bout with pyometra. She

This answer was rated:

My senior cat is having her second bout with pyometra. She was seen in June for first episode and due to heart irregularities she was not a good candidate for surgery. Had x-rays and Dr. refused antiobiotics, she said it would be treatment for us not her. We decided to bring her home and let nature take its course. She has an open cervix so the pus drained out. After reading on the internet that amoxicillin would help, I gave her small doses in her food 2-3X a day, plus Duralactin Feline L-Lysine Paste 2X a day for 14 days and pus drained and her uterus went down. But this time, the same treatment has not worked. As far as I can tell she is not having any pain, even though her abdomen is very swollen. She is not lethargic, her appetite is good (she eats 2-3 cans of wet food and intermittent dry food daily), and jumps up and down from sofa, bed and other pieces of furniture. Is there some other treatment I (or another vet) can do? I am not opposed to putting her down if she gets worse, I do not want her to suffer. Can you.you PLEASE help?

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Gisele's situation. I want to make sure I understand things correctly. No antibiotics were started as the Dr. didn't want to start them? What treatment options were they giving? This visit was 2 weeks ago, has she been seen since then?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No the first episode of.pyometra was in June and no antibiotics were given. At first, the Dr. Thought she could do a hysterectomy, but due to heart irregularities she may not make it thru the anesthesia and surgery.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Prefer to answer online.

Ok. So when was she last seen by your vet? Was it there in June?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Is she currently having vaginal discharge at this time?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
she is having discharge.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you there Dr. Bruce?

Alright. I would say that a first thing to consider here is getting her evaluated by another veterinarian at this time. If the first vet didn't recommend antibiotics when she had the previous open pyometra, then it would seem that they wouldn't be offering any more than what has been done to this point. Another veterinarian can do an evaluation on her and see what they feel as far as her surgical status would be. Honestly, they may feel that the "heart irregularities" aren't an issue. They could do an ECG and an echo first to get more information on its function. IF they feel it is of low risk, then they may say getting her into surgery is the step that is needed at this time.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The problem with surgery or extensive testing, is that I am retired and live on a fixed.income and can't pay for them.

Ok. Financially if surgery isn't an option, then can this respond to more aggressive antibiotic therapy? That is something that could be a possibility. The next best thing then would be a recheck with a vet's office so they can then start her on a broader antibiotic than amoxicillin. At this time, it is good that she's still eating and drinking well. The fact that she's doing this well gives the chance that broadening the antibiotic spectrum may have chance of helping again.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Would IV antibiotics be helpful? If I find a vet who would prescribe the IV, would I be able to administer them at home?

IV antibiotics wouldn't be something that is more helpful. Oral antibiotics can have a spectrum of activity that is very broad too. IV's are a go to when they aren't eating / vomiting. She's eating so orals would be the best. You wouldn't be able to give IV antibiotics at home. I wouldn't personally send home IV antibiotics as that is when things can go wrong.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok.thank you for your help. I will contact another vet to make an appt.

I'm glad to help in this small way. I'm hoping for the best for this girl.

Dr. Bruce and 2 other Cat Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you
Hi Lynn,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Gisele. How is everything going?
Dr. Bruce