Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

We live in the country, and my cat just came in from outside

Customer Question

We live in the country, and my cat just came in from outside and meowed for her kitty treats, Temptations, and I gave her some. Everything seemed normal. Then I noticed her a few minutes later with a great deal of foam coming out of her mouth. She started dry heaving, and then thew up. The foam kept coming and she began to have difficulty breathing. We are almost 3 hours from an emergency vet. Her attempts at breathing got much worse, and I began to panic, realizing that we might loose her. The only help I could think of was to give her children's liquid Benadryl. My first attempt was wasted, but I think I got some in her with my second atempt. An hour has gone by and her breathing has returned to normal, she is relaxed and even purring, and there has been no more foaming and vomitting. Any advice to get us through the night until the vet opens in the morning?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for your cat. Her behavior certainly sounds a bit unusual but I'm glad that she seems to be greatly improved or at least she's not behaving as she was.

On the off chance that she might still be a bit nauseous, you could give her over the counter Pepcid AC (aka Famotidine) at a dose of 1/4th of a 10 mg tablet.

I'd probably also withhold food for now and just give everything a chance to settle down.

Hopefully, whatever triggered this intense reaction was a one off as they say but a vet visit to have her checked out in the morning isn't a bad idea.

I hope this helps. Deb