Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.

My cat was diagnosed with Feline Interstitial Cystitis with

Customer Question

Hi, my cat was diagnosed with Feline Interstitial Cystitis with no blockage or crystals on Friday evening. He was prescribed 1mg Prazosin daily and Cosequin. His diet has also been changed to the prescription C/D food. After two days he is still struggling to urinate and seems to be in a lot of discomfort. Is there anything I can do to relieve it? Up the dosages?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Russell
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Russell?
Customer: No, he's only 2 and has been totally healthy. He is does have elevated responses to sensory stimuli, but in a cute way, not scared
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
He was also given Convenia Injection of 80mg. I'm just not sure how long it will all take to work.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Russell. His continuing to be dysuric (difficulty urinating) and so uncomfortable is worrisome for urethral obstruction which can arise very quickly and certainly since the time he was attended to on Friday. Because an obstruction can be life-threatening and it's nigh impossible for caretakers to tell if their cat is obstructed, I recommend having an on-call vet attend to Russell at your earliest convenience. He should be catheterized to better understand if he's truly blocked or not.

Increasing the doses of either the prazosin or Cosequin won't address a blockage and can't be encouraged at this time. The Convenia might address a bacterial urinary tract infection but 98% of cats with idiopathic cystitis aren't infected. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?