Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Feline Veterinarian in Practice 15 Years

Male cat, coughing. sounded like phlegm in lungs. doing it

Customer Question

male cat, coughing. sounded like phlegm in lungs. doing it for about 3 days. Thought it could be reaction to hops in house. Removed hops. Seems to cough less often. Lungs sound better this morning, but still coughing some. One eye was watery on onset but looks good now. We are thinking maybe a little more time he needs to heal? Allergies? cold?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Cats have coughing problems all the time but it is worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: he is def. indoor cat for the most unless stepping outside and grazing on grass.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 9 days ago.

Hello. Thank you for asking your question. My name is***** will try to help.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 9 days ago.

Anytime it sounds like there is phlegm in the lungs it would be a good idea to have your cat seen. Especially if you hear any wheezing or the gums look pale or purplish.

He may need a chest x-ray to rule out asthma, heart disease, bronchitis, or pneumonia. Because all of those can present with the same symptoms it is important to have a vet listen to his lungs and possibly take a chest x-ray to see what is going on inside.

I would try to get him to the vet today or tomorrow.

I would not just monitor him and see if he heals.

As you probably know heart disease, asthma, and pneumonia could be life threatening if left untreated.

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?