Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

There a lot to it but he's just started antobiotics for a

Customer Question

hi, there a lot to it but he's just started antobiotics for a nasal infection and after 2 days he's off his food, hiding and groaning a lot
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations cats can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name?
Customer: joey
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about joey?
Customer: yes, he was diagnosed with amaemia and a very low PCV
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
On Friday he went in for a dental to remove an infected tooth. during the pre op tests it was observed that his PCV had dropped from 28 two weeks earlier down to 19. Just before they were about to administer the anaesthetic he had a large smelly discharge from one nostril.
This caused the vet to decide to not operate. Put him on tablet antibiotics and see him again at the end of the week to check bloods and maybe inspect inside the nasal cavity. He was given a dose of Marbocyl P 20mg per day. He was fine this morning almost perky, then after the dose at lunchtime he went very quiet, hiding, groaning as he lay there and now cant seem to sit in the same place for more than about 15 minutes
do i stop the meds?
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 10 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) When did he last eat a normal meal?
2) Any vomiting or diarrhea?
3) Is he still drinking or nothing at all by mouth?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
1. about 1/4 of his normal food early this morning. nothing since
2, none
3 nil at all. I tried to offer some fluid by bowl and plastic syringe but had a refusal

It sounds like his appetite is reduced and due to the antibiotic he's likely dealing with a GI upset. The most ideal approach would be to have him examined at the ER and treatment started for the suspect GI upset. In these cases, we can often keep a cat on the treatment they're taking and also treat the GI upset they're experiencing. Failing this, you can skip the antibiotic today and talk to your vet tomorrow when they open to see what course of action would be ideal. When possible, we avoid taking pets off of antibiotic courses unless necessary so as to not encourage antibiotic resistance in their bodies. That said, sometimes there is no choice.

Keep encouraging him to eat, even if it's small amounts.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: