Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.

I have a 3 yr old cat, Timmy. He had OCD, like cleaning

Customer Question

I have a 3 yr old cat, Timmy. He had OCD, like cleaning himself, only uses certain brand of litter, will only eat on a foam plate on a corner on the patio. The past year, he's eaten every single flavor. Wont eat other brands nor will he eat anything but fancy feasf, he has had not even eaten in 122 fatdg
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 8 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Are you saying that Timmy has not had anything to eat in 122 days? That is too much....You will have to have Timmy examined by your vet since this is not good for him and may indicate another internal metabolic problem. For now, give hima dose of Nutrical, available at the pet store, every 4 hrs. This will give him the nutrients that he needs and acts as an appetite stimulant. Also, give him Pedialyte with a syringe every few hours to be sure he remains hydrated.

If this has been this many days, this can cause a serious liver condition and this could be very serious for your sweet Timmy.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I apologize. Timmy did not eat for 11 days. I had a typo. The past 3 days he has been eating only one specific food. He will get tired of it soon. So I'll have to switch food. He only uses one brand of litter, only eats off of styrofoam plates...he is strangely attached to me. I am taking him to my vet tomorrow, they want to make sure he is not dehydrated. He won't eat dry food. He eats plenty of fancy feast- I've tried over 15 brands, and it cannot be pate as he doesn't like his nose to get wet. He likes " grilled" which is tiny bite sized pieces . Would Prozac be considered? Or when he goes on his hunger strikes, an appetite stimulant? He begsvfor food when he is not eating. After 11 days I gave in and tried 6 foods. He started eating again. Hopefully the vet can do some testing!
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 days ago.
Hi Lori Fidler,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Timmy. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 days ago.

I would agree that, if the Feliway does not help, that the next step for sweet Timmy is Fluoxetine or Prozac to help him get past his issues. This does sound like a serious OCD issue and sometimes medications are all we have. When he stops eating, you can try Nutrical, available at the pet store. THis is a high calorie supplement that also acts as an appetite stimulant. It is worth a try....Good luck! I am so proud of you for hanging in there with this sweet guy!

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you. Timmy went to our wonderful vet. He said he was the perfect eight, 9 lbs, beautiful coat, hydrated, etc. blood tests came in today and there was an elevated level of vacuum in his liver. More blood work Tuesday and an untradound Thursday. In the meantime, he won't stop sleeping, not eating, , but can take b12 drops until it is clearer what tims problem is. I am concerned that it could be cancer, though it is unlikely... have you ever heard of this before?
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 days ago.

Liver disease, since it affects the neurologic system, can cause odd behavior. If the Ultrasound picks up liver problems, then this can be treated and hopefully Timmy will be back to his old self. Let me know when you have the results.