Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have a 7-8 month old guppy, had sinse birth...mamma was a

Customer Question

just took, 1 am, liquid sitting in them 1ST PIC FINAL PIC, FIN RIGHT NOW2ND TIME COME BACK3RD TIME COME BACK4TH TME RETURNED, RIGHT NOWI have a 7-8 month old guppy, had sinse birth...mamma was a balloon belly molly.. little over a week ago..notice something on fin...that fin was kinda folded down..wouldn't straight out..and she he always has fins up....so I go t closer look and it looks like blisters on fin....no where else....I have 3 other of siblings...and no symptoms, 2 bristle nose pleco...nothing as well....those symptom where it...appetite fine, and still moving around...you could tell that fin was not ok..so did affect movement. no drastic change in water or anything really... I removed him and put him in a 2.5g tank I use for medical....clean water, keep it clean and really in case...I have a few fish...4 tanks.. I added salt, raised temp, and put in some t.c. tetracycline, broad base, cause I just wasn't sure what was going on...after first day, seem they went away...blisters at least...and still eating and not acting bad...continued treatment, figured at least a few more doses..then in another day or two..came back, worse...bigger blisters...did another dose.....did 25 percent water change as needed....and seem to go away again...appetite still good...was still following doses and water changes...salt...etc....but again in a few days...came back again...blisters are big and bigger affected area...can tell now that its affecting the skin and fin...red and dark area....during the coarse of meds..it went away 3 times and came back each time little worse...its just a bad cycle...not sure what to do ..or what it really is....she still is eating and moving around, but you can tell that is affecting the fin and might hurt..don't know.. looked thru all I could find from other people...and only thing was bubble disease...which I guess could be but that usually a water thing...and I have changed tanks and cared for water...medicated etc....so I need help...if it is that.it really gives no treatment other then fix water..which again...changed tanks..and 2.5 g east to maintain...but it doesn't even say how to treat the affect areas on fins...for symptomatic relief...I have pictures from first flare to now...I appreciate you help.

CONTINUED.....ADDED PICS FOR YOU..BUT I CHECKED HIM AT 1 AM AND THEY ARE A CLEAR BALL OF LIQUID HALF RED...MOVES AROUND WHEN HE DOES...VERY STRANGE...FEEL SO BAD FOR HIM

Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Can you see any white stringy material in any of these blisters?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

It fine...I didn't expect an answer until later do to the hour and weekend...

NO...from what I can see it looked at first like clear blisters full of fluid...now it looks like the pics sent you last....blister full of liquid only part sits at bottom is red or dark pink....you can see where the blisters are starting to affect the fin area...wound type..and the last dosage I gave didn't even make it go away for even a day... its really strange...she will move around when you mess with her...or feed her..and she is hungry and eats...but they are definitely getting worse...and can see small ones starting to form around the other big ones.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

Now I have to say that looking at these cysts they don't look bacterial therefore the Tetracycline isn't going to be of much benefit here. Instead, I am concerned that these are due to Dermocystidium. This is an infectious agent that little is known about but it is thought to be due to a fungi or protozoa. I suspect he may be immune suppressed and that is why only he has broke with cysts. Treatment tends to have limited success but there are reports of treatment with Acriflavine or malachite green along with aquarium salt being beneficial. So, those would be our main focus with him in the hospitalization tank just now. Just to note, if a cyst ruptures, you can spot treat with an iodine to help avoid bacterial infection and aid healing. Of course, any redness to the lesions would support bacterial creeping in and that would be when we'd want to use the antibiotics.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

ok...I assume that wasn't helping..i wanted to clean her tank a bit...get some out...so I need a bit of water change...added salt...but no more meds....and what was really wieird...was when she got riled up...the bubbles got more red...instead of red just resting at bottom...it filled up enter bubble...I didn't know if this was important...

and of coarse I don't want her in there suffering....if she is in a lot of pain.and its not going to heal....as they are definatly getting worse...should I do the human thing...I hate even asking..but last thing I want is her suffering and its not going to heal...i'll start looking up what you said...

and what about the others..no sign of them having..and is it contagious

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

As I noted, it is suspected to be an infectious agent, but often we will see only immune suppressed or weak fish affected. So, we'd want to keep her separated but may need to think about a full water change (something we never undertake light heartedly) for the main tank. Otherwise, I suspect that red sediment is blood from when the cyst originally broke through the skin. And when she is active or riled up, this will be shook back into suspension (like a snow globe). So, its not clinically significant. In regards ***** ***** we need to look at how she is coping. If she is struggling to get around, not active or has a declining appetite, then we'd need to think about euthanasia. And just in case you do need to do so, I do want to note how to put her down with clove oil (LINK) so she won't suffer.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.