Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

He has got a huge raw spot on his belly and back leg, No I

Customer Question

He has got a huge raw spot on his belly and back leg
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: No I think he did it to himself, though I haven't seen him doing it
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Magoo 10 years, best guess he was an adoption reduce cat
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Magoo?
Customer: He is over weight
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Have another cat in house, she is fine. Nothing wrong with her. Only Magoo is showing symptoms. I only found it when combing him, try to do it weekly, as he is not the best groomer.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
In the pic, my thumb is on his back paw... His tail is in the other corner
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Has there been any changes at home (ie new pets, people, changes in routine, noises, cats outside, etc)?

How long has this been present?

Any odor or pus seen here?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No nothing new, last week it just looked bald. I didn't notice any smell while grooming him. Skin is dry, like sandpaper. I have searched the house, and looks like I found the spot where he lost most of it. Lots of stuff of hair, not normal shedding. Finished basement, next to cat post. Don't use that room much. He doesn't seem fazed by this. I have yet to see him over groom, or pull hair out.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

Based on the photo, this is does look like self-trauma and if he isn't grooming excessively then that does raise concerns of stress based overgrooming. Had we an issue with fleas, allergies, or a skin infection; we'd have expected you to see him in action with active irritation.

In any case, since it is still a bit raw but healing, we'd want to salt water bathe (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) this 2-3 times daily. This will just help prevent infection. As well, if you find this doesn't look to start healing in the next few days (those open red lesions closing the scab coming away) or you see more fur go missing then he may need an e-collar for the short term to protect the area so it can heal.

Finally, since the pattern of grooming is so suggestive of stress based/behavior over grooming, I do think it best to cover bases for any stressors. If there is nothing you can appreciate having changed (and this is often a problem since the things that set them off can seem like nothing to us), then using de-stressing tools to help provide a general peaceful environment would be ideal. For this, we often will use Feliway, also known as Comfort Zone in the US pet stores, which is a synthetic cat pheromone that helps to relieve stress. This can be used as a spray or a plug-in diffuser and you could put this in the area where you found his hair. There is also a diet on the market called Calm by Royal Canin. This contains a number of supplements that have been found to provide stress relief to cats. As well, there are nutritional supplements like Kalmaid or Zylkene or treats like Compsure that can be used to soothe anxious cats. And these would be ideal to try and reduce his motivation to groom and get this settled.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I took him to see a vet on Monday, he was visibly sick. Red eyes, runny eyes and nose, and stomach was extremely worse. He has a yeast, and bacteria infection. Blood work came back normal with exception to white blood count which was high. He got shots, and I have drops for his ears. Orange liquid, to wash over his belly and leg. He looks better, but belly still looks bad. He was shaved from armpits down.Thank you for the plug in suggestion, I really think it helps calm him down. Before he got isolated, he was sleeping right under it. Plus my other cat is not driving me nuts to get to see him. Cause he is not stressed.You helped, if nothing else but to calm me down til I could get him looked at.Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome and thank you for the update,

Poor lad, it sounds like he is being bombarded by a few issues that are capitalizing on his stress at the moment. Though its good to hear that his bloods were normal since that is always positive for our older kitties. And its good that he is settling (and everyone else too), since that is the cornerstone of getting these secondary issues under control and getting him settled.

Keep up the good work,

Dr. B.

**Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited by the site for helping you (there is no extra charge for this). Thank you for your feedback!: )