Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Our nearly 10 yr old cat seems ill. She was eating &

Customer Question

Our nearly 10 yr old cat seems ill. She was eating & drinking normally yesterday, with her usual activity level, but today, she has been curled up next to my husband's desk all day. This is not her usual spot. We were out much of the day, so she may have been up then, but was in the exact same spot when we returned. She seems to have no interest in food or water. She felt limp when I held her, but hopped off my husband's lap to return to the same spot on the floor. She doesn't seem to be breathing abnormally and I can't see any injury. Should I call an emergency vet tonight or tomorrow, or wait until office hours Monday?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Having read your question through I have to say that it may be better to see an ER vet sooner rather than wait until Monday. The reason I say this is that while the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet the fact that she is suddenly lethargic and she has a much reduced appetite makes me think that it is possible that your cat is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. This would be the commonest cause of what you are seeing although of course other diagnosis are also possible.

2. I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if she is indeed running a temperature. In the meantime until you can get your cat to a vet all you can do is to keep her comfortable and reassured and make sure she is getting fluids regularly.

3. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if her condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Cinders is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her lethargy ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.