Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Granddaughters 8 mo old cat. Labored open mouth breathing.

Customer Question

Granddaughters 8 mo old cat. Labored open mouth breathing. Moves around a little but lethargic. She was taken to vet earlier today. Given steroid shot & b12 shot. Is there anything else to do? She's pitiful & crying. We have her in a bathroom with small heater to keep her warm. Vet said temp was low.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Quincie 8mo FS
JA: How old is FS?
Customer: ? Her name is ***** ***** is 8 mos. Old. She is a female spayed.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about quincie?
Customer: Other than its not the lethargy but the raspy labored breathing that's the main comcern. Pneumonia? Maybe? She was fine early am.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 1 month ago.

Hi there,
i'm Dr. Karing and I would be glad to help with your question about Quincie. Did your veterinarian take chest x-rays?

I'm going offline for awhile so I am going to opt out which will allow other professionals to help. However, I will say that the low body temperature can be indicative of heart disease in cats. My advice is to go back to the vet where they should provide treatment and stabilize your cat before sending her home. Labored open mouth breathing suggests Quincie is having trouble getting the oxygen she needs: they can deliver oxygen in the veterinary clinic while they work on figuring out what the cause of the problem is. Chest x-rays are very important.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No. My granddaughters took her in upset. They gave her the meds, told her to keep her warm & take her home.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Within 24 hrs? Wow. If I could take the cat back to the sorry vet here I would. We live in the middle of nowhere & no vets open over the weekend.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

JACustomer, I apologize that you did not hear back from anyone. How is Quincie doing currently?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She spent the night in an emergency care veterinary clinic. Prognosis grim. Aspirated pneumonia.

I am sorry to hear this, but glad that Quincie is receiving veterinary treatment. Please let me know if I can help you any further.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She was sent home. Nothing more they can do. Thank you for your concern. I was just hoping for advice last night to relieve her discomfort & avoid the 45 min panicked drive to the clinic until morning. I didn't get anything from here but questions. Again thank you for your kindness.