Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

She was limping, and I looked at her back paw, and 2 of her

Customer Question

Hi, she was limping, and I looked at her back paw, and 2 of her claws look like their filled with blood maybe.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: But that I know of. She's 18- and not as steady. But, we're not home all day, either
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about She 's?
Customer: Not, not "but"
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Her claws aren't growing like they used to, and are thicker and ... scaly? They slough off done. One of her front ones looks a little like the back one, but doesn't seem to be hurting her like the back ones.
Expert:  Cher replied 11 days ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 11 days ago.

Hello again,

I'm sorry your kitty is experiencing this problem with her claws.

From your description of the back claws that are causing her pain, it's possible that she has a fungal infection of the nail bed, called Paronychia; this is an infection that causes inflammation of the tissue around the nail or claw. Onychosis or Onychopathy are generalized terms to specify an abnormality of the nail, itself. If you see fresh or dried blood or a black discoloration, around or under the claw, these are symptoms of a nail bed infection or claw abnormality. Ringworm, a fungal skin infection is also possible in the claw beds; this is contagious to humans, too, so wear gloves when you look at her claws and wash your hands well until you can find out more after a vet visit. Here is additional information:

Older cats have thicker claws, and shed the sheaths more often; they are also more prone to breaking or splitting, due to being more brittle.

At the moment, it would be best to have your kitty's claws evaluated by a vet, so a definite diagnosis can be made and treatment given.

I hope all will be well with your furry girl!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply to Expert' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,