Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.

I gave a small stray cat comfortis 6-12 lbs Wed. and today

I gave a small stray cat comfortis 6-12 lbs Wed. and today he won't eat his food. He is lethargic as well. Is this signs of overdose? Susan
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help Susan. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Susan?
Customer: I can't touch or hold the cat so it would be very difficult to take him for treatment

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Does he look smaller then 6lbs? Did you give him more than one?

How long has he had these signs?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling, vomiting, or diarrhea?

Can he keep water down?

If you can see, do his gums or the pink tissue around his eyes look paler then usual?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
He is a small mframed cat and very thin. I guessed at his weight by my other indoor cats. He had 1 tablet. He seemed to be ok yesterday and ate most of his dinner. I found a vomit on the deck steps yesterday AM. I don't know if it was from him. He was lresting in the sunshine this morning a didnt come to eat. My neighbor puts milk out for the strays and he sometimes fills his belly before I place their food out in the morning. He just came to the door looking for something to eat and tuened his nose up at everything but plain chichen. He just ate a small amount of that. As for drooling, gaging-no. I cant really see his eyes as he is blavk and his head is down.

Thank you,

Now if this was an overdose for him, then we could see nausea and GI upset put him off his food. Though we do have to tread with care since we can also see these signs with bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items). As well, I'd note that if she is using cow's milk that isn't lactose free, she could also be causing GI upset with the milk (so cat milk or lactose free may need to be used).

With this all in mind, we do need to tread with care. And his being a stray this does make things complicated. I would note that you could try to soothe his stomach with an antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @] but we'd need to sneak it into something he won't refuse since tableting him is likely not possible. Otherwise, if he could be caught in a humane trap, your vet could use a 24 hour lasting anti-nausea medication by injection.

Further to the chicken, I'd note that you can also try to tempt him to eat with white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing but it could be the Comfortis that has set him off. In the case of the medication, the effects usually only last a day or two. So, we can try the above and keep a close eye. But if this goes on longer, then the other issues would be a concern and you may need to think about trapping him so that he can be seen and treated to nip this in the bud for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 3 hours ago.
the small stray is doing mich better now. It took 2 days before his appetite returned. I gave him kitten food andmixed the regular food with recovery diet. Now he's spoiled!