Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I have a 9 yr old female and a 3 yr old male cat. The female

Customer Question

I have a 9 yr old female and a 3 yr old male cat. The female is smaller in height and length and weighs about 10 lbs. The male is a few inches taller and longer and weighs about 19 lbs. I need to slim them down, especially the male. They are strictly indoor cats, both very active. I only feed them Purina healthy weight dry cat food they each get 1/3 cup in the morning. I leave their dishes out when I leave for work. I can be gone 10-12 hrs a day. When I get home if they still have food I'll just tip it off and if it's empty I'll give another 1/3 each. Dish stays out all night. If I remove the dishes before I leave work and again at night will they be getting enough to hold them all day? I don't want them starving but they're getting over weight.
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jennifer Welsh replied 6 days ago.

Hello! I am Dr Welsh and I am happy to help with your questions today. Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this. I have just a few additional questions for you so that I can make the best recommendation.

are the cups actual measured cups?

how long have they been on the diet?

do you play with them daily?

have you tried any other foods?

have either of them had any bloodwork recently?

any current meds or illness?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Actual measured cups, which they've been on for a few years. What other brand would you suggest? I try to play with them daily but it doesn't always happen. I introduce new toys to stimulate their activity level. They're both healthy and don't take any medications. No bloodwork.

ok thank you for that additional information. can you take a pic of each cat from above and side so I can see how their body condition is to try to tailor a plan for them?

if you can't do the pics that's ok I can still make some recommendations for you?