Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My cat just swallowed an unknown length of fishing line---is

Customer Question

My cat just swallowed an unknown length of fishing line---is there anything I should do?
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 10 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Any fishing apparatus on it or just line?

How long ago did ingestion occur?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
8 hours ago and nothing was attached

This can wind up being a benign situation or something very critical. At this time, you'll need to be feeding higher fiber foods like canned pumpkin along with his regular meals in hopes that the fishing line moves through without concern. If ANY symptoms show up like vomiting, diarrhea, nausea/drooling, avoiding food or water, hiding, etc. you need to have him examined promptly. Fishing line is a high risk object to consume because it can stretch out in the intestines causing a linear foreign body and with the natural motion of the intestines use a "see saw" action to lacerate the intestines. Thus, it's prudent to err on the side of caution if signs of unwellness show so that you can seek diagnostics and treatment. If this does pass normally, the chance that it comes out in one stool is probably pretty low. If you do see any length hanging from the anus, trim it. Never pull. And allow him to continue passing it with time.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 days ago.

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion today? ​

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
He tried to vomit yesterday afternoon and not much came up--about the size of a half dollar and just gray stuff. He has gone to the bathroom a little, but probably not as much he would have normally expelled. He doesn't seem uncomfortable though.

Is he still eating and drinking well?